We designed Adrian's bathroom with his needs in mind:
Low towel stand to hang his towels or clothing; a child-sized chair for getting dressed; a potty and books.
The cut-out handles on the chair's sides are very useful for getting up.
Have you heard of a biodegradable toothbrush made out of cornstarch? Well, now you have :)
My children love the cute characters, the matching cups and toothbrushes. Rinse cups are made from bamboo and rice husks, and both a cup and a brush handle are biodegradable within 90 days in commercial compost! (All Jack & Jill products are BPA and PVC free.) Adrian received a Blue Bunny matching set, while Julia a Pink Hippo.
The toothpaste has certified organic ingredients, and is rich in Xylitol and Calendula to soothe sore gums, and it is yummy! It is also FREE of fluoride, sugar, color, SLS, and preservative, and features a safety seal and easy open flip top cap. The result: Adrian is looking forward to the "task" of brushing his teeth, which he can do independently from the beginning to the end! He actually enjoys it so much, that I have to limit the brushing to three-times a day, otherwise, he would be brushing them all day long:)
a laundry basket for dirty clothing
Make sure to set the water temperature to a level that will not burn your child even if turned all the way.
Adrian likes to use these Ocean Animals during the bath time.
We also use Jack N' Jill Buzzy Brush, which has 3 modes with memory function, and one of the modes is a Buzzy’s original instructional song, which kids love to sing to - it makes brushing so much fun! The toothbrush comes with the cutest stickers, and replaceable brush-heads, so Julia and Adrian are sharing the handle, and just switching the brush heads.
Some other toothpastes we use:
- Earthpaste Natural Toothpaste - all ingredients (clay, salt, essential oils) come from the earth! It may take some time getting used to it, since it has a peculiar taste, but, in my opinion, it is the most natural toothpaste on the market - no titanium dioxide to make it white, nor any foaming agents.
- Tom's of Maine Anticavity Fluoride Children's Toothpaste, Silly Strawberry
- Natural Dentist Child Toothpaste, Berry Blast
- JASON Natural Toothpaste, Peppermint (Julia just started using it, but for Adrian it is too "spicy" as he says)
- Children also love Weleda Children Tooth Gel - it is a German company, and at first, I was a little skeptic since it does not say "organic", but Weleda uses the highest quality natural ingredients, and I totally trust all their products.
To sum up, the teeth-brushing routine:
- Julia and Adrian each brush their teeth independently first (to get the big chunks of food out if any) using a 2 minute sand-timer;
- flossing (well, I floss them; I started to floss Adrian at around two years old);
- then it is my turn to brush their teeth (with Adrian, I alternate regular toothbrush and Silicone Gum Brush);
- they each clean their tongues with a stainless steel tongue cleaner;
- lastly, they rinse with Anticavity Fluoride Rinse (after rinsing, the only liquid they can drink is water)
I would love to hear your ideas on toddler-bathroom-setup.
p.s. You can read here about the Ocean books we are reading and on more ways we use ocean animals