Happy December! This is our favorite month of the year since it is filled with joy, the anticipation of holidays and goodwill. It is also a time of giving, a time of cheering and a time of sharing many special moments with the family. Don't you just love the smell of hot cocoa, the sight of roaring fireplaces and wrapping paper all over the house; and of course: glitter, scissors, glue and all other goodies that bring crafts with your kiddos to life!
So, we commence on December 1st with Christmas Countdown. We usually have a Christmas Tree with little envelopes hanged on it, but this year we did something different ...
When I saw this cutest DIY paper plate Countdown⛄️Snowmen craft from Happy Tot Shelf, I knew we had to make one! (Check out the details on how to make it here.) We also added glitter glue and glitter to its nose, and our Advent Snowman also got a pair of arms.
This can be a great counting activity for your toddler or backward counting exercise for an older child. (Also, growing up in Europe, our "Christmas" was celebrated on December 31st, so our Advent Countdown has two red dates, but feel free to end your countdown on December 25th.
A fun holiday for us in December is St. Nicholas Day, a special Advent family tradition celebrated on December 6th, which is especially exciting for children as they count down the days on their Advent calendars in anticipation of a Christmas Day. Read a blog post about the tradition here "St. 🎅🏻 Nicholas Day 🎁Custom of 👞Shoes."
To continue with the Holiday spirit, below you will find Christmas-inspired activities we have done during the month of December arranged by the area of study, rather than chronologically. Do leave a comment if you liked any and whether you will consider implementing any one of our activities in your home.
See here a summary post "🎄Christmas 🎅🏻 Inspired 📚Books" we have been enjoying reading as well as links to blog posts where we brought books to life through small world play.
Holiday Inspired SPACE
What is 🔍 on our 🎅🏻 Christmas-Inspired Shelf:
- The Christmas Wish book inspired small world play (buy a book here),
- Holiday Smelling activity,
- Little 💙Blue Truck's 🎄Christmas (buy a book here); see a📎 link to a blog post here,
- ♻️ Recycled Holiday Cards ✂️ puzzle (see details👇below),
- Magnet 🔔Bell Transferring (see a📎 link to a post👇below or here),
- Invitation to decorate a pinecone (see👇below).
See here 🎄Christmas Inspired Magnet 🔔Bell Transferring.
Not sure what to do📮with a 💯🎄Holiday 📩 cards you receive❓
Leave just the front (picture) part of the card and ✂️cut according to your child's level (either in halves or 1/4 or smaller). Invite your child to assemble. (Above, Adrian at 3 yo enjoyed assembling quarters and halves.)
Cut into smaller pieces for an older child (above Adrian enjoyed it at 4 yo) or cut diagonally to add a fun aspect to a puzzle.
What is 🔍 on our🎄Holiday-Inspired Shelf:
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Sensory Bin activity (read here),
- Mystery bag (see a📎 link to a post👇below or here),
- Invitation to create with DIY homemade play dough; see here "No-Cook Homemade Play Dough 🎄Christmas Tree DIY Craft."
- The Mitten Book is our absolute Winter favorite! (buy here); see a📎 link to a blog post here.
See here 🎄Holiday Inspired Montessori Mystery Bag.
See here "No-Cook Homemade Play Dough 🎄Christmas Tree DIY Craft."
This is a fun play-dough craft Adrian made when he was three years old. We are using this green play dough along with various beads and embellishments. As a result, I had thirty minutes to tidy up in the morning, while he was busy molding and decorating his Christmas trees.
- Abominable Snowland and Rudolph 💯Hundred Board Skip Counting by 2️⃣; 📎 link to a post👇below or here,
- LEGO Subtraction work,
- Dot stickers Addition work: see here "DIY 🍡Pop-Sticks, Clothespins & Dot Stickers 🔴 ➕🔵 Addition Activity (Montessori 🔢 Math 🎥 Lesson)."
- Alligator Less/More.
See here "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer 💯Hundred Board Skip Counting by 2️⃣."
When I saw this LEGO 5️⃣ ➖subtraction work here, I knew we had to do it! Adrian ❤️️loves Lego Duplo and bringing his Lego Friends to life while practicing ➖subtraction skills was so much 🤗fun!
For more on LEGO Math, see here "🔢Math Simple ➕Addition and ➖Subtractions with LEGO ."
See here "🎄Christmas Odd & Even Math lesson (Numerals and Counters)."
See here "🎄Christmas Tree from Montessori Number Rods and Knobless Cylinders."
See here "🎅🏻Christmas Inspired • Fill The Ornament 🎄Sensory Bin."
See here "🎅🏻Christmas Inspired ⛄️Shredded Paper 🙌🏻Sensory Bin with 🔢Math Twist."
See here Toothpick 🌟Star 💦Trick Science Experiment For Kids (🔬⚗️⚖️ 101 🎥Series 🎇).
See here 🎅🏻 Santa ❤️ Red Slime DIY Jar (Science 🔬⚗️⚖️ 101 🎥Series 🎇).
See here Rainbow 🌈Colorful Skittles Fun💧 Water Science Experiment for Kids •🔬⚗️⚖️ 101 🎥 Series.
See here "🎅🏻Christmas Inspired Candy Cane Pipe Cleaner DIY Craft."
OUR LEARNING SPACE
- Christmas Inspired Candy Canes Pipe Cleaner Craft (read here),
- Mystery Bag (see a📎 link to a post here),
- Smelling activity,
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Activity (read here),
- Christmas Tree sewing buttons activity,
- The Mitten Book Activity (read here).
An invitation to sew a button on a felt Christmas Tree.
More about our Learning Space in 2016 here.
See here "Picking up a 🎄Christmas Tree at 🎅🏻 Santa's Workshop."
See here "🎅🏻 Santa Caught on 📸 Camera!"
I hope you are having a wonderful Holiday Season!