After a long winter, spring finally tiptoes in, stirring up heavenly smells, revealing new undergrowth, and awakening sleepy trees.
Leaves begin to unfurl, leaving behind their fluffy nestlings.
There are signs of spring everywhere: sprouting blossoms popping here and there like gems in a rough barren ground, yet to be covered with the emerald green grass. Children were so glad to spy these sapphires yearning for the sun during our nature walk. We try to go outside every day, granted the weather cooperated, and we try to listen and breath and be in the now. (The Listening Walk book is an amazing book to teach children to listen to the environment around them instead of always making noise.)
We observe warm breeze making daffodils take a bow.
Cherry Trees, covered in clouds of white and pink blooms, shower us with the sweet aroma.
There must be [a] provision for the child to have contact with nature, to understand and appreciate the order, the harmony and the beauty in it… so that the child may better understand and participate in the marvellous things which civilisation creates. ~ The Secret of Childhood, Dr. Maria Montessori.
Here, I will share our 🌸Spring and🌱nature inspired activities, books, and hands-on learning. I hope you will follow along.
- My First Discoveries Series with its transparent pages add a new twist to a traditional reading. Trees, Flowers, and Woodes and Forest books are a great addition to your spring or botany book collection:
- Trees book (buy here) gracefully explains how nature's cycle works.
- Woods and Forest book (buy here) teaches a young reader about nature, seasons, woods and forests.
- Flowers book (buy here) will show a child how bees and butterflies settle on spring flowers, how buds blossom and flower into fruit, and how sunflowers turn to face the sun.
- Everything Spring (Picture the Seasons) National Geographic Children's (buy here) is an amazing beautifully photographed picture book, where young children can see, hear, and feel the warmth of springtime by reading and learning all about chicks, bunnies, and the other baby animals that come out to play in springtime.
- Spring book is a part of Four Seasons Book set (buy here), where each of the books describes the characteristics of one season. Spectacular images of children, plants, and animals in all seasons combine with simple text to demonstrate how seasonal changes affect all life on Earth.
- Cherry Blossoms Say Spring National Geographic Children's Books (buy here) looks at the life cycle of a cherry tree, the history behind the gift of the Japanese cherry trees to our nation's capital, and the association of cherry trees and spring. Vibrant scenes from the Cherry Blossom Festival and the flood of visitors to the Tidal Basin are balanced with shots of the natural beauty of these trees.
"The sun opens the buds and tiny leaves uncurl." ~ Trees book.
"In spring, chestnut trees blossom. The flowers grow into chestnuts."
Through these beautiful overlay pages, a child can see a little seed grow into a mighty tree. A tree flowers every year, bearing seeds, which will fall to the ground, to grow slowly into more trees.
Flowers book has the most beautiful transparent overlay pages which reveal how buds blossom and flower into fruit, how sunflowers turn to face the sun, how bees and butterflies settle on spring flowers, and how Dandelion: grows from a flower ~ to a bud ~ to a seed.
Read here about our 🌸Botany 📚Books.
"S" is for Spring!
Spring is a time to talk about new life, birds, and nestings.
See here Our 🌸Spring Inspired Learning Space.
Learning about ❄️🌸🌳🍂Seasons ~ read here.
See here 🐦Spring Themed Numbers Activity (4 = 🐣🐣🐣🐣).
See here 🌸Spring Flower ♻️Recycled ✂️Craft.
This 💐bouquet of flowers can be a perfect 💞Mother's Day or a 🎉Birthday 🎁 Gift (👧🏻Julia and 👦🏼Adrian made these 💐flowers for Daddy's Birthday Day this week). This craft is very simple: all you need is tissue paper and pipe cleaners. We also noted a bead in the middle of the flower to resemble a"male" or pollen-bearing part called the stamen. Adrian made a very similar 🌻 flower craft when he was 3 yo ~ ✂️🔸📌poke 🔸slide 🔸🌼crunch ~ see here how he made it in a post " 🎨Van Gogh Inspired 12 🌻Sunflowers Tissue Paper ♻️ Cardboard Roll Paper Mache ✂️Craft."
Who said 🐣eggs are just for Easter? 😉How about a 💜PURPLE sensory bin🙌🏻Just collet things around the 🏡house (marbles, Pom poms, feathers, 🌸~ choose different textures) and 🙈hide them in 💜eggs! Once the child opens all the eggs and finds all the 💜treasures, make a 📝chart and offer your child to 🔢count and ✍🏻️write down how many of each there are! For more sensorial activities, see here Sensorial 🖐️👀👂👅👃 Activities 101 🎥 Series 🎇. Van Gogh Inspired 12 🌻Sunflowers Tissue Paper ♻️ Cardboard Roll Paper Mache ✂️Craft."
See here 🐦 Bird Unit Inspired Sensory Bin (Montessori Sensorial Activity with a Math Twist).
See here a 📽video 👣Feet 🐣Egg Transferring 🌈Color Matching 💪🏻Gross Motor Game.
BOTANY & ZOOLOGY
See here Learning About 🌿 Leaves (Botany 🌸🌳 Lesson).
See here a video post "Soft Shelled 🏐Bouncy Raw 🐣Egg Kids 🔬⚗️⚖️ Science 101 🎥 Series 🎇."
🌸Spring Inspired 📚Books
Anja's adventure takes place against a backdrop of breathtaking Scandinavian mountains.
"It was spring, and the snow had melted in all but the highest places, so Anja reluctantly put her skies away..."
Caring for plants is part of caring for the environment, which offers a child a wonderful opportunity to develop responsibility, discipline, and most importantly, affection for nature.
"Children have an anxious concern for living beings, and the satisfaction of this instinct fills them with delight. It is therefore easy to interest them in taking care of plants ... Nothing awakens foresight in a small child, who lives as a rule for the passing moment and without care for the tomorrow, so much as this. When he knows that ... little plants will dry up if he does not water them, he binds together with a new thread of love today’s passing moments with those of the tomorrow." Montessori M. (1967) The Discovery of the Child. NY: Ballantine Books. pp 71-72.
See here 💦Caring for 🌺Orchids at 3 Yo • Montessori 🙌🏻Practical Life Activity • Care of the 🌐Environment.
See here a post about Earth Day 🌐 Books 📚 We are 📖 Reading.
For Earth Day inspired activities, see here Earth Day 🌐 Activities Roundup.
For Easter hands-on fun, see here 🐣Easter 🐰Inspired Themed Unit Study.